Friends of the Library
Friends is a voluntary, non-profit incorporated association whose mission is to support the Livingston Public Library and all it represents in our community.
The Goals of the Friends are:
To encourage fuller use of the Library
To stimulate gifts for the Library
To support programs to provide activities for children, young people and adults
To cooperate with the Library Trustees and the Director of the Library in developing library services and facilities for the people of Livingston
How We Support the Library
- Work with the Library’s Adult Services Department to fund signature series including – Music Matters concerts, lifelong learning lectures, craft programs, and author events.
- Underwrite Senior Happening and staff it with volunteers. This is made possible, in part, by funds from the Essex County Division of Cultural Affairs, a partner of the New Jersey Council on the Arts. Discover Jersey Arts on www.jerseyarts.com.
- Sponsor the Library’s Summer Reading Programs for Children, Teens, and Adults. With hundreds of registrants each year, these innovative programs use creative presentations, innovative performers, and incentives to encourage reading in a fun environment.
- Work with the Library Youth Services Department to offer programs for Youth including arts and crafts and authors. Friends funds presenters and supplies for a wide array of programs.
- Pay for the Museum Pass Program which provides free admission to selected museums in the area.
- Finance the purchase of technology, databases and hundreds of books each year including ELL (English Language Learner) books.
- Fund the subscription to the monthly book review publication Book Page. This publication is available in the Library Lobby while supplies last.
- Endowed the Children’s Room as one of its largest donors to the Library’s Capital Campaign.